l s

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Learning color mixing in watercolor


Yesterday my beginners had their first adventure with color. They've been practicing washes and brushstrokes, textures and values for three weeks using only Payne's Gray. It's just too confusing to try to figure out color when you haven't learned to handle a brush. Because they're all doing homework and seem to be "getting it," we worked on color theory and mixing a week earlier than usual. I demonstrate my split-primary color-mixing system, painting a color wheel with six colors, while I explain the principles that make it work. They all did a pretty good job of painting their own wheels following the demo. The usual problem is using too much water and weakening the saturation of the hues on the wheel. Their homework this week is to play with colors. It will be interesting to see what they bring in for show-and-tell next week.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Nita
First of all I must tell you that I have been pouring over your book 'The Creative Artist' for several weeks now, and loving it. And secondly that I am spending this weekend studying information on watercolour on the Internet ... and have just found your blog.

I am looking to try watercolour for the first time and need all the help I can get! (I usually work in acrylic or pastel).

Thank you so much for posting about your Split-Primary Color Mix theory. Colour mixing is something I need to understand far better than I currently do and this seems to be a method that I can follow and commit to memory!

10:22 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Lesly, You'll find some more tips on watercolor on my web site Exploring Color & Creativity

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home