l s

Monday, July 17, 2006

Painting on Silk

This morning I went to my second class on silk painting. Last week we learned some of the basics and then painted resist lines with water-based gutta (which is like masking in watercolor) on our stretched silk scarves, about 10" x 40" long. I was late to class, thinking it didn't start until this week, but they called me and I dashed over. I had to come up with a design really fast. I did a series of six big spirals rolling across the fabric, plus stars, moon, sun and some squiggles. This week we painted the design on the silk. I started with yellow in the center of each spiral and gradated the color through orange to red around the spirals and put a turquoise background on it. It's a little sloppy, but very colorful and was fun to do. I kept forgetting that I didn't have to paint up to the resist lines, but should let the color spread to the lines. After my painting was dry, I removed it from the stretcher bars. According to the teacher's instructions, I rolled it up with a thin cotton sheeting and made a small bundle, which was then wrapped tightly in newsprint. The instructor took our bundles home with her to steam them in a big kettle to set the colors. I'll put a digital image of my scarf on my blog when I get it back next week.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

Silk painting is something I've always wanted to try. I'm looking forward to seeing your scarf.

BTW, Nita, did you ever finish the poured painting that you had on here a month or so ago?

Michelle

8:41 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

The poured painting is still sitting on my drafting table waiting patiently for me to find time to get back to it. Right now my studio is stacked with books to be signed and shipped, so it's going to have to wait awhile longer. Thanks for asking.

8:23 AM  
Blogger alanrkelchner said...

and evryone wonders why I love working on fabric so much .. . . .Glad you're enjoying your new experience.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

I've always enjoyed working on fabric, but never thought about it as art. Before I was married, I made hostess aprons for my friends who helped at the wedding reception. (This was before weddings were elaborately catered.) I handpainted floral designs on each one. I also painted designs on furniture, but I used patterns for those.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home