l s

Monday, April 30, 2007

Book Review: Sisters of the Circle

Carol Haefner's Sisters of the Circle is a book of poetry, subtitled "One Woman's Journey to Wholeness." It's odd how I happened to find this book. Or maybe it found me. I was browsing at Half-Price Books and liked the colors on the spine, so I pulled it out. I saw that it was poetry, which I read sometimes, but not a lot, wasn't in the mood, so I put it back. I moved on and a little later thought of something I wanted to look for, so I retraced my steps and ended up pulling the book off the shelf a second time and reading the foreword. When I saw that it was about a woman's struggle with depression, I decided it would probably be a downer, so I put it back on the shelf. Nevertheless, I was drawn back to that book a third time, so I bought it and I'm glad I did. I've never suffered from depression, but I have a dear friend who has. Carol Haefner's poems feel authentic as she describes her suffering and her struggle to overcome it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home