l s

Monday, May 26, 2008

Memories of Vancouver Island

I can still see the glow of the setting sun on the water at Qualicum Beach, where I sat with my friends on the last night of my visit. We had a busy two-and-half days catching up on our lives and reliving our trip to New Mexico ten years ago. Among other things, we went on Saturday to a couple of outdoor markets, where I bought a funky tie-dyed apron for my workshops and a silly arm puppet for my grandchildren. I actually saw someone I remembered from one of my workshops twelve years ago, selling her art in the outdoor market.
We had someone take our picture together at the ferry dock at Nanaimo. I flew from Nanaimo airport to Vancouver, then to Denver and Dayton. It was longer than the trip out, with a diversion to avoid the storms that hit the Midwest yesterday. Today we went fossil hunting at a state park near my daughter's house. I'm feeling like a fossil myself after the long travel day. The trip to Vancouver Island to be with my friends was worth every minute of it.
A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me
when my memory fails.
-- Author unknown

2 Comments:

Blogger Ruth Steinfatt said...

I am so glad you arrived home safely and have some wonderful memories. There is nothing like good friends.

I am so happy you enjoyed the Island..it is a little piece of paradise shhh.. don't tell too many people LOL

1:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth, I think you're safe. Most people in the eastern U.S. don't even know there is a Vancouver Island. My son travels to Vancouver and enjoys Stanley Park, but he didn't know about the Island. I'm afraid I leaked it to him, so he will probably ferry over next time he goes to the Northwest.

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home