l s

Friday, April 13, 2007

Looking at new art

It was a beautiful day to be out and about. I had a mid-morning appointment, so I decided afterwards to get my glasses fixed before I lost a lens. That put me in an area where I knew there was a quilt exhibit. Wow! Anne Hubler of Dayton does fantastic watercolor quilts. She uses tiny pieces of fabric applied to canvas in subtle gradations that actually look like paint from a distance. She doesn't have a website and I couldn't find any of her work by Googling, so you'll just have to take my word for it. The exhibit is at Rosewood Arts Center in Kettering until May 4.

I also visited another exhibit by an artist who shall remain nameless. She has sent me invitations to her New York gallery shows several times in the past, so I thought I'd catch this one while it was here. She is a primitive artist, and I usually like primitive art, but this work looked pretty bad to me. It reminded me of some of the stuff at the Museum of Bad Art. No, actually it was worse--it was boring. At least now I know I'm not missing something by not going to those openings in New York.

Oh, well, I guess any day I can look at art, good and bad, is a good day.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home