l s

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Photoshop Elements class

Hithergreen Center, where I teach my watercolor class, started a new session in Photoshop Elements 6 in November. The class is challenging, but so much fun. I've been into PSE since #1 came out, but my knowledge of the program has been limited to trial and error; I've gotten good results, but never could figure out how I did it. Reinventing the wheel, dontcha know? I've learned so much from Brook, the instructor, and her sidekick, Mary Lou, who have a firm grasp on the program. Some in the class have upgraded to PSE 8; my copy is sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. The class has a monthly contest based on one of the artistic filters in the program. My candy pic here was one of the winners this month. I tried something new I want to pass on, not related to PSE. When I set up the still life, I didn't want to use my flash (harsh shadows), so I dug out my little Ott task-light, which has full-spectrum fluorescent lighting. I turned out the studio lights and used only the task-light. It worked great. Wouldn't be good for a big setup, but perfect for this shot.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nita,
So glad I found your blog. I’m self-taught in PS and only know what I need to know…if you know what I mean! I use it for editing my scans for giclee prints on paper etc. In the beginning I found Scott Kelby’s books very helpful.

Love this still life set up….I often photograph my studio shots with a full spectrum lamp. The bulbs are much cooler in Kelvin rating (colour temp) than regular incandescent bulbs.

Maggie L

11:03 AM  
Blogger Michelle Himes said...

I love your little still life! :-)

I'm still using the original Photoshop Elements. I think sometimes about upgrading, but this one still does everything I need, and lots of things that I haven't figured out yet. I work on trial and error too.

6:12 PM  
Anonymous Nita Leland said...

I'm sure learning a lot, Michelle. I can't believe how much I've missed. I never could figure out layers and now that's beginning to make sense. I have to do homework ever week, though, or it won't sink in!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home