l s

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Finally starting the New Year

My new year never seems to begin until January 2. New Year's Day is always crowded with tasks to wind up the old year, like taking down the Christmas decorations, doing the year's-end inventory, getting the bills paid. I'm looking forward to a wonderful 2008, teaching lots of workshops and seeing my new book in print. The year 2007 was a mixed bag, a lot of hard work and some highs and lows. The highest point was the birth of our grandson, who continues to be a delight when I babysit four days a week. The lowest point was the loss of my best friend. After thirty years of friendship, it ended on a sour note in February, leaving me shocked and grieving.

Our granddaughter slept over Saturday night and did her first painting on her new Christmas easel. It was amazing watching her step up to the easel with such confidence and begin painting. I set out the three primaries and purple, her favorite color. It was the first color she chose, then she added in all the others, mixing to make orange and green. She switched back and forth between her left and right hands. When she finished her painting, she told me it was a "rainbow cave." Jenna is going on five. I wish I had been that confident at such a tender age. All I remember of art from those days is coloring inside the lines.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bonny said...

WOW!!!What a wonderful concept - a Rainbow cave!!! Wouldn't it be nice if there really was a Rainbow cave somewhere? A place where we could go whenever we needed cheering up.

I think your grand-daughter is going to be a great artist and a book writer, just like her Grandmother!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Michelle Himes said...

What a beautiful, bright painting! I hope someone is saving Jenna's artwork for when she's older.

All I remember is coloring in the lines too, but I loved it! Just smelling crayons brings back so many wonderful memories. But Oh, I would have loved that easel and those bright paints!

8:05 AM  
Blogger DreamON said...

Happy! That's what Jenna's painting says. Isn't it great to have a grandchild that seems to have been give the same gift you have!

We just visited our grandbabies up in the frozen northland, and the most fun times were coloring with my granddaughter who I think is an amazing little artist. Grandmas know!

11:42 AM  
Blogger CMC said...

Isn't it fun to watch them having so much fun with paint?

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home