l s

Monday, December 10, 2007

Ultimate highs and lows

Last night I went to bed at midnight higher than a kite, speaking metaphorically. I finally finished the last of the captions for demonstration paintings included in my new book. Seven artists agreed to do these demos. It has been such a hassle, from the photography aspect to getting the information for the captions. In mid-October I expected to have the images my editor selected from those submitted. I got the list the week before Thanksgiving. Probably didn't matter, as I was having serious sinus problems in October and most of November. Nevertheless, the burden of getting those captions written was really stressful. I was euphoric when I finished last night and couldn't get to sleep for hours. That's the high part.

The low part--I turned on my computer this morning and Norton told me my hard drive was in danger of being corrupted if I tried to open Windows. Their GoBack program didn't work. I left the house to work out, figuring I'd try to resuscitate it when I got home. Turned everything off and let it rest. Poor thing must have been as overworked as I felt. So far so good. At least everything is on my second hard drive, but I hadn't backed up files for several days. Gotta do that next.

There haven't been any major problems with the book, but I like to have more control over the process and these past few weeks haven't been conducive to that. No doubt I need to learn to go with the flow, but sometimes I'm too busy paddling my boat to realize that. As someone wrote to me--take a deep breath. That helps.

It also helps to hold our new grandbaby or hug our little granddaughter. They were both here for two hours yesterday and it was a welcome break. There must be something in grandma DNA that shuts down all systems but love in the presence of the little ones.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nita I just want to thank you for your very nice and succinct article on the differences between prints and reproductions. I am a work-in-progress becoming a printmaker of etchings and lithos. Its always been hard for me to explain to people what I'm doing and why dont I just go to kinkos with my artwork. You have helped me a lot. I will keep an eye on your blog from now on. Thank you again.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Annette Bush said...

Nita
congratulations on getting close to the end on another book. Your output is always amazing to me> It always seems to come at the right moment for a lot of people on their painting journey.

And yes, you are right about the grandma DNA.
Annette

1:06 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for writing, Indigo and Annette. I'm hoping I can stay on an even keel this week and enjoy the holidays.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home