l s

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A new collage artist

The Little Artist came over after school today. She walked into her playroom and said, "What are we going to do today?" I said, "Would you like to make a collage?" She smiled and sat down at her new table--just her size--and said, "Yes." Then, "What's a collage?"

We had a great time. I had lots of colorful rice-paper scraps. She picked out her favorite colors and tore and glued them all over the outside of a folded (5 1/2" x 8") inexpensive blank greeting-card. Then she colored the inside on one page and added stickers to the other. She told me the card was for "Mommy, Daddy and me."

Now and then, after she announced that it was finished, she took it out of the envelope and added a new embellishment or two. A born collage artist.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

As a grandmother of nine, I love hearing your stories about the Little Artist.

Collage is great to do with kids. I've done Matisse-like collages with a few of the boys, and stained rice paper collage with my granddaughter who was 8 at the time.

I recently purchased a collage book by Eric Carle (of Very Hungry Caterpillar fame) with about 70 sheets of colored tissue paper and simple instructions for making collage pictures like the ones in his books. It's out of print, but if you can get one on ebay your Little Artist would have a ball with it.

Michelle

9:06 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for the tip, Michelle. I saw that book once and almost bought it. I found a copy on Amazon.com marketplace that I hope is still available. That book has become a collectible and is listed at up to $300.00! I didn't buy that one....

9:58 AM  
Blogger Michelle Himes said...

Wow! Maybe I will keep mine as a collector's item and have the grandkids paint up some tissue paper of their own. :-)

Michelle

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home