l s

Friday, September 22, 2006

What's wrong with this picture?

We have a regional art club, the Western Ohio Watercolor Society, which meets at the Springfield (OH) Art Museum. For several years the club has offered a $300 scholarship to an area high-school-senior art student, with an added bonus of $300 for the teacher who nominates the winning student. Artist Jim McCoy donated additional funds, which increased the award to $500 for both student and teacher, in memory of his wife, an accomplished artist who taught art for many years in the public schools. Several months ago I was asked to judge the awards pro bono, which I was delighted to do. The judging was to take place this afternoon at the museum. Yesterday I received a call from the man in charge of the scholarship award. Larry sat at the museum for four hours and not a single entry was brought in, so my services weren't needed today. Can you believe it? Why would teachers not encourage their students to submit their work for such an award, with such a generous monetary incentive for themselves? Even without that, teachers should be helping their students to build a portfolio and resume for their art careers. I just don't get it. I have been feeling very sad today to think of this opportunity lost for some deserving student--because of a lazy teacher? So, so sad.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

Hard to believe! Was there by any chance something else big going on in town for the high schools that day? Was it well publicized? It is certainly sad that a wonderful opportunity like this wasn't taken advantage of.

Michelle

8:40 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

I would imagine if there were such conflicts that someone would have contacted the chairman about it. As I understand it, the application information is sent directly to the teachers.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Annette Bush said...

I'm back to read this again. It has been on my mind. Are teachers overworked, apathetic or disinterested? Or it is students who are overworked, apathetic or disinterested? Is there a solution for next year?

I needed to comment; I don't know how. AAB

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

I'll talk to the guy that set it up and see what I can learn about that. I hope they don't just drop the program, which could easily happen. Nobody likes to give a party that no one comes to.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Annette Bush said...

Okay. A thought. Is it possible to have an art club member serve as liasion with each school -- direct contact with teachers, pick-up and return of entries? It's a great project, but maybe it just needs a little TLC>

11:03 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

That would work in a perfect world, but here it's all we can do to get people to serve on board positions, let alone volunteer for this type of project. Perhaps a personal phone call to the teachers after the offer goes out might make a difference.

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home