l s

Monday, September 04, 2006

On mailing lists and art marketing

The Left Brain strikes again. On Saturday I described the three tasks I have to do and the order in which I expected to do them. My compulsive nature rose up and I began entering addresses into my Access database yesterday. I rationalized that the workshop shipment wouldn't go out until after Labor Day anyway, so it could wait another day. I convinced myself that the book outline is shaping up in my mind and will come pouring forth when it's ready (or on Tuesday, whichever comes first). So I typed and input, and input and typed, taking a break now and then to maintain my sanity. (Too late!)

But! I got all the records updated. I filed the stacks of addresses. I feel like a major cloud has passed that has been hanging over me for a long time. In fact, I don't even care if I use the database right away--just knowing it will be ready when I need it is a big relief. I didn't like struggling to gather addresses for the book-signing. Now it will be a piece of cake to sort a mailing list and print labels.

This seems like a ridiculous entry for an art and creativity blog, but the truth is that part of both is doing the marketing. Artists and writers who want to be successful must spend a significant part of their time spreading the word. One of my high-school teachers said, "You have to toot your own horn, because no one will do it for you." One artist on an art mailing list had been taught that she should let someone else toot her horn for her. You could wait a long time for someone else to do that. I've been observing artists on the Internet for over ten years now and the ones who are thriving are the ones who beep their own horns.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Annette Bush said...

Nita, thanks for the gentle reminder that mailing lists need to be kept ready. I have begun to depend on email communications so much that I forget about those snail mail lists. AAB

8:42 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Annette--
So many people, especially in my age bracket, still don't have or use their email. While I didn't necessarily expect them to attend the signing, I wanted to be sure they knew about the book--and I don't have time to call everyone. Snail-mail is the only way to go. That's true with small-town newspapers, too. The larger ones like email submissions, but some of the small ones don't even list an email contact on their web site--if they have one. It's pretty easy to whip out a press release and labels with a functional database.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Annette Bush said...

Nita
I do still 'plan' to use my snail mail. I just forget that there are so many who don't use email even when they readily give an addy -- and I don't think it's 'our' age!

That's also a good reminder about knowing how your local media wants its info. Susan managed to set up a database for me with fax, email or snail-mail info -- sure saves time.
AAB

3:15 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

That's a great way to set up the PR database. Do you know what program she used for that?

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home