l s

Monday, July 31, 2006

Digital image delivery

I just finished an article over the weekend for Watercolour Gazette magazine, a Canadian publication produced by Eileen Korponay of Winnipeg, Manitoba. The mag started over thirteen years ago in a newsletter format and has become a very nice, useable resource with lots of ideas, tips and techniques. I've written several articles for Eileen over the years and she has reciprocated by reviewing my books. I used snail-mail to send small illustrations to her for my articles, but this time I had some digital images I wanted to use. I converted my high-resolution tiff files to grayscale and adjusted the value range where needed. Then I resized the files to 200 dpi at a print size of about 5" x 8". The files were still pretty big--between one and two MB--so I sent six emails with a different file in each. I have broadband, so I could have put more than one in each email, but I wasn't sure Eileen has it. She says they came through just fine and she was able to set up the article quickly with the digital files. Wow, this is the way to go. The article will appear in the September issue. The title is "All Art is Abstract."

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger CMC said...

Nita, there are services (free) on the internet now that allow you to send large files (up to 1G. You just load to their site and they send an email to the person you want to get the file. They can download at their convenience and not tie up their email in box. I use http://www.yousendit.com but there are some others.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for the great tip. I'll use this in the future.

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just proofed the mag for Eileen. Your images look great in black and white and the article and inspirational. It's great to read about someone who truly believes in the abstract form.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks. I can't wait to see it in print!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home