l s

Monday, December 01, 2008

What I'm thankful for

Aside from the obvious--my family and friends, a good life, sunny days and snow flurries--I'm thankful that I've almost survived this year of 2008 and all its challenges. I've never had so many book signings for a new book, and I'm thankful for that and for the amazing response to its appearance. I'm thankful to have a new project in the works that will soon be announced, and especially glad that my part in it was finished ten days ago and I can relax from the stress going into it. There's lots more to be thankful for, but this is enough for now.

I've finally made a Web page for the exhibit at Town and Country Fine Art Center's "Art in Motion" space in November. I'm sorry I couldn't get to it earlier. The exhibit was great and the opening was a grand occasion. The holiday gift gallery is still on at the space until after the holidays.

Art to Art Palette online magazine is now available in its annual print edition. The magazine is an amazing collection of resources for galleries, museums, art and performance venues focused on the midwest-eastern states--Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Pennsylvania--and well beyond. Besides the resources, there are artist profiles that are fascinating to read (never mind the one about me and my mountain-climbing days). One of the best features is the extensive section on pottery and clay arts. The $13.00 price includes shipping and handling. This is one for your reference shelf. Contact Ben Rayman to order.

Five artists who are included in Confident Color are featured in an exhibit titled "Connecting Vision With Inspiration," now showing at Middletown Arts Center, Middletown, Ohio through December 17. Karen Benedetti, Kathleen Bertolone, Rosie Huart, Trish McKinney and Sharon Stolzenberger have widely differing styles and mediums with exciting interpretations of a variety of subjects.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nita,
Your book sounds like a wonderful read. I own an art gallery, and just yesterday I was telling one of our regular patrons, that often people's emotional responses come more from the colors of a painting than anything else.

I am thankful for the strong education that I received that has provided me with a good foundation of skills, but I am also thankful that there is always the fun of self exploration! Color has played a key role in my latest body of work.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

I'd love to see your work. Do you have a Web site?

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will check in with you later in the season to see if "snow flurries" brings you the same gratitude, you included among the other four subject matters. Of course, from an artist's rendition shown in a painting, it works as long as I am not physcially experiencing those white droplets as they trickle down from the sky. However what I am most thankful for, in my current stage of life, is a statement by Albert Schweitzer, 1875-1965, 1952 Nobel Peace Prize, Humanitarian, Scientist: "One other thing stirs me when I look back at my youthful days, the fact that so many people gave me something or were something to me without knowing it." I now know what it means, sort of like reaching a mountain's peak or the wisdom that comes with age or the experience that comes from just doing it, and sharing that confident knowledge with those yearning to leave their mark as a reminder to those who begin their travels on life's highway.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Hap said...

Taking the time to think back to all the things and persons you are thankful for is time well spent. You realize all the people who have had an impact on your life. How important they are to you. It takes you into that wonderful mode of gratefulness and thanksgiving. I have a wonderful family that bring me much joy. I have truly good friends who bring out the best in me. But, today, as I dismissed my "Beginner Class" of young students for the Christmas break, I thought what a blessing each one of those students have been to me. One little boy, Zachary, soon to be nine (9) expressed with joy to me, "I didn't know I could do that!" He was speaking about his drawing that he had finished. I am thankful for the 15 students that I teach each week and the joy that they bring to my life as I see them progress and to discover the talent within that is God given. I didn't know I would be sharing that today, but as I do I am overwhelmed with gratitude to God for that blessing.
Joan Crawford Barnes

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nita,

I am thankful to the Creators for the opportunity to express myself creatively every day. And I am grateful to all who have helped me find the way to do so.

I am thankful to Ben Raymond for the article he wrote in Art-to-Art Palette that tells some of the story of how I began painting and honors my Father for his guidance.

I hope we can meet at some time. I wanted to get to one of your lectures, but wasn't able to make it. Busy managing a co-op gallery (5th Street Gallery in Cincinnati) as well as working and getting as much painting done as is possible.

My email is artist@newageart.com and my website is www.newageart.com

Peace, Joy and Happiness
in this season and always

Ober-Rae Starr Livingstone

9:48 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

And now I'm thankful for the comments from readers. I'd love to hear more of what you are all thankful for. Maybe we need to talk about this more often.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankful for a pair of "cheaters" aka reading glasses for now.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thankful that I have been offered a great opportunity in writing for an editor that puts up with my eccentricities.

I am also thankful for the ability to meet and write about a wonderful variety of artists, including Nita. It has and continues to be an evergrowing great adventure.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home