l s

Friday, January 11, 2008

Installing a new printer

I've had enough frustration from my old HP all-in-one that I finally broke down and bought a new printer, an Epson RX595. It didn't take me long to install it--not a fraction of the time it took me to get the old HP out of my computer. But it will take awhile to figure out all the features. I can't believe you can get so many goodies with a $99 printer--well, $149 without the online rebates. I miss one feature I liked in the HP--automatic downloading of digital camera disks--even though it was beginning to get flaky on me. The scanner hasn't worked for a long time and the paper rollers were beginning to act up. I like the look of the printed pages I've done on the Epson so far and it's much faster. I'm going to have to clean up the mess I've made in my studio unpacking the printer and installing it before I try printing any photos. If it's anything like my other Epsons, I'll be a happy camper. What do people do with old printers that still sort of work?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger quirkyartist said...

I also upgraded to an Epson a day or two before the New Year. I advertised my printer on Freecycle, (to be taken away free) and there were no takers. I think it is nearly as cheap to buy a new one as to buy the ink for some of the old ones. I am also very happy with my new printer (CX8300)and finding it much faster.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Nita, can you believe I'm still using an old HP black and white laser printer?! I keep saying I'm going to get a new printer...imagine being able to print color...at home...

Yes, I am indeed a dinosaur...

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nita,

You are supposed to be able to take old equipment to Salvation Army or Goodwill and they will use it or donate it to the right place. Maybe this will help.

Pat

1:06 AM  
Blogger Annette Bush said...

Nita
We've had several electronic recycle days in my metro area -- different sponsors, but the goal is to keep them out of the landfill as long as possible. I don't know who you could call. I had to make 5 phone calls to give away 3 tennis rackets.

Congrats on the new printer!
A

1:21 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

My old HP laser printer is languishing under the table - while my Canon all-in-one commands premium space.

Wendy's right - the cost of a new printer these days is nothing. The cost of supplies however is quite another matter.

Maybe check whether it's still possible to get supplies for the old one? It's very often an important factor for people looking to acquire a new printer.

The other thing is that the newer ones seem to be so much smaller and neater!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for the suggestions on disposing of printers and computers. I googled and found other options, too. The printer has lots of glitches and will probably will go to printer heaven, leaving its parts to be transplanted to other needy printers. My husband's old Win98 laptop is going to our son to be upgraded. My old Sony Vaio laptop doesn't have a home yet, but I'm looking for one, probably my son-in-law can retrofit it for our granddaughter. Kate, if you finally get a color printer, you'll love it--but you'll miss the speed of the laser printer for regular printing.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home