l s

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Books in high places

I can't help myself. I have to tell you how good I felt when I saw Confident Color on the shelves of the bookstore at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. That is such a thrill. It was also at Barnes & Noble in Cambridge. When my first book came out in 1985, I visited my son in Boston, and we went to an art store in Cambridge. I slithered around looking for a book department, but there wasn't one. As I made a purchase, I mentioned that I was looking for Exploring Color, but I noticed he didn't carry books. He said, "Well, actually, I do carry that one--it's the only book I have." Sure enough, there it was, in the middle of the painting department. He was so excited to meet the author that he had me sign all the books he had in stock. A shining moment for me. I can't believe that was 24 years ago! I seldom mention my books in stores, although I suppose I should, for the sake of marketing. But, I do check to see if they're there, and usually, at least one of them is. Never, in my wildest dreams, did I see myself with four books in print at the same time. I thought the first one was a lucky break.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Trish said...

Nita, I just wanted to give you the link to my blog post with your interview, and to thank you again, I really appreciate you taking the time for it:)take care and have a great week!
Trish
http://mycreativejourney.typepad.com/my_creative_journey/2009/05/nita-leland-interview.html

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Cheryl McClure said...

Good luck comes with a lot of hard work. You deserve it, you talented lady.

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Sylvia said...

You rightly deserve to feel proud. That's a wonderful achievement and well deserved. Way to go! I'll have to start checking out the Museum Stores to see if I can find your books when we visit them.

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's a wonderful achievement, resulting from hard work and talent. Good on you :-)

5:49 AM  
Blogger Making A Mark said...

I saw you on the bookshelves of the shop at the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew this week!

7:50 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

That is so awesome, Katherine. Thanks for letting me know!

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home