l s

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The wildflowers are amazing

I noticed when I got home from Dallas on Monday that there were spots of white and color in the quarter-acre woods. On Tuesday I took a walk and here's what I found blooming or ready to pop: twinleaf (photo), bloodroot, spring beauty, Virginia bluebells, grape hyacinth, Grecian windflower, Siberian squill, pulmonaria, sharp-lobed hepatica, periwinkle, white violet, toothwort, Dutchman's breeches, and isopyrum. Also, the forsythia and daffodils are cheerful in spite of getting whacked by low temperatures after they had sent up four or five inches of leaves in January. Go to my wildflower pages to see what the flowers look like.

I ripped out a few spindly alien honeysuckle seedlings and noticed that there are some garlic-mustard sprouts, but nothing like I've been battling in past years. The overgrowth of these plants completely wiped out the blooming wildflowers I used to have. I planted lots of new flowers, but I think many of those that are flourishing have been dormant for years. See my woodland pages for more on my restoration project. I think it will be a breeze to do the weed cleanup this year, but there are a lot of branches down from high winds this winter. These stay on the woodland floor, but I break them into small pieces so they'll decompose more quickly.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Nita,
I have followed your wildflower project for some time, and I'm so glad to hear that your hard work has been paying off.

I've been battling garlic mustard in a wooded area near my church, and am hoping that the trillium and solomon's seal will make a strong come back this year.
Elizabeth

12:44 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

One of my wildflower instructors told me that there are hundreds of seeds in the narrow pods of garlic-mustard and they are 100% viable. That's why it's such a nuisance once it gets started. I pull every plant I see before it flowers. They're easy to pull up if they're not attached to an old rooted plant. You have to dig those out and try not to leave any pieces in the ground. I don't like to use weed sprays in the woods.

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Nita,
I am a fellow artist and I just found your blog, and what stood out for me is this blog on wildflowers. I love this time of year, and here around Lafayette, IN we're getting the same lovely little wild things! I appreciate your comment on wildflowers.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks for writing, Roxie. I've found some new ones since I wrote that blog: epimedium and celandine poppy. The others are flourishing and if you want to me to smile, send me out to the woods for awhile. I had to laugh when I saw your blog name--I'm giving a demo on color schemes tomorrow night for artists in Fairborn, Ohio.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love wild flowers and constantly working my garden once the snow melts.
I bookmarked your pages and will go back when i have time to pour over them.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Toni--
We've just had a little sprinkling of snow, but the wildflowers are pretty tough.

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home