l s

Monday, October 10, 2005

Watercolor breakthrough

I'm just winding up an 8-week beginning watercolor course (Watercolor for the Terrified) with one more week to go. We've been through all the wash and brush drills, values, perspective, color mixing. This is a pretty typical class. Some "get it" right away and others have to work a little harder, but on the whole, during critique this afternoon I felt that everyone is catching on. They're appreciating the difference between spontaneous and overworked and have got the idea of letting colors blend rather than overmixing. I teach at a senior center and although the class is bright and active, their priorities are different from most classes. They travel, take time off, have more than the usual number of illnesses and surgeries, so it's difficult to keep the momentum going sometimes. I'm starting my fourth year at the center. In two weeks I'll be teaching an intermediate class. We'll have more challenging activities and several returning students are more accomplished watercolor painters who keep me on my toes. I enjoy the beginners, but I'm looking forward to mixing it up with the new class.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've mentioned you here (http://orangerie.splinder.com/post/2954644). I'm your fan and I've your fantastic book Exploring color. Kiss. Alain

5:24 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Thanks, Alain. I appreciate the mention and I'm glad you like my book.

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home