l s

Friday, January 09, 2009

Color reference cards

Several people have asked me about the color reference card system discussed in Confident Color. Here it is. It's very simple. The box is a photo storage box from Michael's or any other photo or craft store. Most of the cards stored in it are watercolor minglings I did while trying out color schemes for paintings. Through the years these samples piled up and tumbled off the shelf from time to time.

Now, they're organized into categories, such as Color Schemes (and subsections), Color Design, Paint Tests, etc. A portrait painter would probably have sections on flesh tones and eye colors. A landscape painter might want to keep track of mixtures for greens or fog or skies. Quilters and collage artists might find this system useful, too. My cards are nearly all watercolor paper, so I can see how the paint will look on the surface I paint on. They are 4" x 6", but could be a little bigger in the photo box if you prefer. The system is easy to set up and inexpensive. I enjoy making new cards for paintings, but also, it's fun to browse through them to rediscover color combinations I've had success with in the past.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Buek said...

Oh, this is such a good idea. I can adapt it to my own needs. I could glue down some of the bits and pieces of collage paper laying around and create color schemes from that. Or dabs of paint on the cards.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Nita said...

Absolutely! Some of the cards in the box are magazine color schemes from fashion ads or home designs and others are fabric bits I've put together from scraps I've collected for quilt workshops.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Trish said...

this is wonderful

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home