l s

Sunday, November 06, 2005

The little artist

Our two-and-a-half-year-old granddaughter visited this afternoon. Jenna and I are very close and like to build towers with blocks, read stories and play with her dollies and Little People. She loves to finger paint and color with crayons and markers. It's fun to see how she's developing as a "junior artist." She knew her colors before she could talk. (I didn't drill her, honestly.) Mostly she scribbles, but some time ago her marks become more purposeful. She drew a straight line and said it was Daddy, then put a Mommy line next to it. She makes circles and zigzags, too. Today she used colored markers in a coloring book. The picture had six bunny rabbits in it. She colored each one a different color, happily unconcerned about going outside the lines. She used her right hand except for two small bunnies that were side-by-side. She colored the one on the right with her right hand and switched the marker to her left hand to do the other. Two of my children (her mother is one) are right-handed but use their left hands for many tasks. How about those genes?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

I love hearing about little ones doing art. I have 8 grandchildren, and another one due in January. The older 6 always want to paint with me. My granddaughter and I did rice paper collages this summer that I have up on my blog. So far I haven't painted with the two youngest, who aren't two yet. But next time we are together I'm sure I can get a paintbrush in their hands.

Michelle

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home