l s

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Watercolor on canvas

This seems like an oxymoron to me, purist that I am in watercolor. I can't help wondering what all the fuss is about. I like the look of watercolor on paper, but not just any paper. I used to love working on handmade paper, but it's so expensive. Most of the popular papers are machine-made and many have surfaces that imitate the textures of handmade paper. They work well with transparent watercolors, especially the granulating pigments. Some artists don't like the way staining paints lock into the paper fibers and can't be scrubbed out without ruining the paper. I'm told that with watercolor canvas you can wipe your watercolor painting off and start over. Well, I wonder about that. I've got a couple of samples of watercolor canvas here in my studio somewhere. Guess I'll have to dig them out and find out for myself. Truth is, if I'm going to work on canvas, I'd rather spread oil paint like butter than run a watercolor wash. But I guess I'd better try watercolor on canvas to see what I've been missing. Any advice?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home