l s

Sunday, August 27, 2006

American Art Review

I've been reading the August, 2006, edition of American Art Review. It's one of the best art mags I've read in some time. Several fine recent exhibitions at smaller museums are discussed, including lavish illustrations. I was drawn to it because of a review of the Georgia O'Keeffe exhibition in Vermont's Shelburne Museum (through Oct. 31, which my son viewed and gave high praise.) I was pleased to find Emily Carr in the same issue at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa until September 4. The Carr exhibit will travel throughout Canada until 2008. Next stop is Vancouver Art Gallery, opening October 7. There are many other interesting reviews, including Winslow Homer (Museum of American Art at Giverny), Thomas Moran (National Museum of Wildlife Art, Jackson, Wyoming,) and Painters of the Desert Southwest (Booth Museum, Cartersville, Georgia). I'm looking forward to reading the article on Harry Leith-Ross, whose paintings are at James Michener Art Museum in New Hope, Pennsylvania. "Poetry in Design" is the title of the exhibition and from the illustrations in the magazine, this appears to be a fine display of designed realism by an artist new to me.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home