l s

Monday, April 17, 2006

Pouring Paint, Woe is Me!

This was a really fun class. Everyone seemed very pumped up about pouring paint for the first time, including me. I have a different way of doing it, but I decided to use Jean Grastorf's method from her new book. Nearly everyone had a crack at it and although the results were mixed, there were some pretty good beginnings. You wouldn't have thought it, to hear the wailing. "Oh, no! This is such a mess!" It's hard to imagine what's going to happen when you pour liquid watercolor paint onto wet paper. Usually, it's totally out of control when you first try it. I know some of the students didn't believe me when I told them they had a good start, but at critique time, when we looked at what they had done, it was exciting to see all the possibilities. It will be fun to see what they do to finish them. On the whole, no one seemed to be ready to change their techniques, but I know the pouring lesson will give them another tool to add to their bag of watercolor tricks.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle Himes said...

It sounds like a fun class. I love the poured watercolors by Jean Grasdorf and Roland Roycroft and others, but I detest using masking so I have not tried the pouring method yet. I do like the beautiful glow that the poured colors have.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Alma Stoller said...

I am going to have to look through Jean Grasdorf's book. I don't know what that technique is....
Sounds like a really fun class with a great teacher.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Nita said...

Pouring is fun, but it certainly can seem scary, because the paint moves fast on the wet surface. One teacher I know said everyone in her class--including her--made a big muddy mess. The key, I think, is starting with really pale colors and building up lots of layers. I haven't finished my demo yet, so maybe it won't turn out, but so far it looks okay. I'll post a digital photo of the first pour.

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home